Saturday, March 22, 2014

Podcasting

     Using technology in an early childhood setting is always a challenge. Podcasting presents its own unique set of challenges. Is it useful in an early childhood environment? If so, in what ways can it be used for children that are not able to navigate podcasts? Obviously, adult assistance is necessary when using this type of communication whether it be the teacher, home care provider, or parent.  The first use that comes to mind is basic introductions. In some early childhood programs, home visits are conducted before a child can begin the program. In others, the child meets the teacher on their first day. In this case, an incoming family can be directed to podcast where they can listen to the teacher give a welcoming message to the family.  Another use is to communicate with families over long holiday breaks. Young children are fascinated with technology. Hearing a message from their teacher over a podcast is exciting for them and may make the transition back to school less upsetting for those with separation anxiety. Teachers can also send home a special book accompanied by a podcast reading from the teacher. Children can follow along with the book and listen as many times as they like.  The most effective use of podcasting in early childhood is for parent education. Podcasts can be posted to your blog, classroom Facebook page, classroom Twitter feed, or teacher website. Parents can access valuable information about parenting skills, home learning ideas, and upcoming events.

   There are multiple tools to assist teachers with Podcasting. Using Audacity, teachers can record literature with music and sound effects and then share those on their blog or website. Families can access those with their children in the comfort of their home for use as bed time stories or learning tools. Audacity can also be used to share recordings of the teacher singing classroom songs with the parents. Often, small children sing school songs at home but the parent is unable to understand some or all of the words. Teachers can share their fun and sometimes made up tunes along with a short message regarding the educational basis of the song.  These can be uploaded to a website or blog to enable parents to access at any time. Teachers can also record short messages on AudioBoo to relay information regarding classroom and school wide events and greeting messages. AudioBoo is great for conveying brief informational messages but not for lengthy recordings such as books or songs.  Teachers can share Podcast from iTunes with parents to convey valuable information on parenting, technology and young children, trends in early childhood education, crafting ideas, etc.  Podcasts through iTunes for young children are more limited because they only provide verbal stimulation when young children need both verbal and visual stimulation.  However, there are a few for kindergarten age, which still falls into the early childhood category.  When using these tools for early childhood, teachers may have to get creative but Podcasting can still have a place in the early childhood classroom. 

For more information about Audacity click here.

For more information about AudioBoo click here.

For more information about iTunes podcasting click here.

     I am providing two recordings for you. The first is an introduction podcast created by me using AudioBoo. As previously mentioned, the AudioBoo Podcast is short (approximately 1 minute) as they can only be a maximum of three minutes. I created and AudioBoo account and then followed the record/upload setting. From there, I was able to start recording immediately. I was able to record as many times as necessary until I was happy with the result. I found it easier to write my introduction ahead of time rather then record an "off the cuff" version. AudioBoo allowed me to name and save my podcast once I was satisfied with the recording.  The next tool I used was Audacity. I recorded myself reading a poem.  I was able to include music, bird tweets, and a snoring sound into the poem in appropriate places. Audacity allows the user to manipulate the recording by compressing dead space, shortening music length, and adjusting volume among many other options.  

     The following is a podcast created by me using the tool AudioBoo. I provide a brief overview of the longer podcast highlighting some specific elements that stood out to me in light of the technology use I am seeing from many young children. The Podcast is from iTunes entitled Every Day Matters in the Classroom with Cool Cat Teacher, episode 6 named "Toddlers on Technology."





    Next is the podcast created using Audacity.  Here, I am reading a poem entitled "Early Bird" by Shel Silverstein from his book Where the Sidewalk Ends. I was able to add music before the poem using a link licensed under Creative Common license. I was also able to add bird chirping noises after the word 'bird' and a snoring sound after the words 'sleep late.' Audacity allowed me to read the poem in its entirety and then split the reading where I needed to add sounds.  Once I was finished adding everything necessary, I was able to remove any undesirable pauses or dead space by aligning the music, reading, and sounds accordingly.  I saved the recording on Audacity, emailed it to myself, saved it, and then uploaded it to AudioBoo where I was then able embed it in this blog.







     I hope you enjoyed reading a very brief introduction to the idea of podcasting with young children and families. Unlike older children in secondary and elementary education, young children are dependent on caregivers to utilize technology. Teachers must get creative in their use of podcast, but it is still possible. Even if you believe that young children can not benefit directly from a traditional 'lesson' delivered through a podcast, remember that use of technology is a lesson in and of itself for an early learner. Even the shortest message of  "Hello, boys and girls. I hope you're enjoying your holiday. I miss ,and I'll see you in two more days," is an effective use of podcasting for young children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment