Thursday, June 1, 2017

My Connections to Play

We are never more fully alive, more completely ourselves, or more deeply engrossed in anything than when we are playing.” --Charles Schaefer

Go and play. Run around. Build something. Break something. Climb a tree. Get dirty. Get in some trouble. Have some fun.” --Gerald Brom
Image result for yellow pine trees
Trees! Who doesn't love to climb trees?

                                                                                     
                         

Image result for bed sheet fort
Bed sheets. Great for forts or super hero capes. 
I spent most of my time outside in the woods creating forts and building houses. During the summer, I stayed with my Grandma and unless it was raining, I was outside. Sometimes she was with me but most of the time, she was not.  I was an only child and occasionally I had a friend join me from the house next door.  I would spend countless hours creating fantastic structures with items I found in the garage.  My grandma allowed me to use and have whatever I needed. She wasn't concerned about my using a knife or getting hurt. I experimented, I fell, I cut myself a few times, and I encountered my fair share of snakes.  My parents felt much the same way. I was left to explore on my own in the woods around our house and throughout the neighborhood.  By today's standards, both my grandma and my parents would have been considered neglectful. Quite the opposite is true. I didn't spend hours exploring because they weren't paying attention. I spent hour exploring because they WERE paying attention.  They wanted me to go out and get dirty, have fun, try new things, build, construct, and think! 35 years later I still like to play outside. My play now involves gardening, building, and home improvement, but I have never lost my love of being outdoors for hours.  This semester has been difficult for me. The weather in Kentucky has been gorgeous this spring, and I just want to GO OUTSIDE instead of doing homework!
Today, children rarely get to freely explore their surroundings. I was out in the woods by the time I was 6.  This would be unheard of now.  Children are stuck in fenced in playgrounds, yards, and parks. The sad part is that I understand why. There is danger every where, and it isn't from nature.  Like I wrote earlier, I encountered snakes, mice, insects, live stock, birds, and scavenger animals on my daily excursions.  I learned how to avoid them and how to get away from them.  The danger now is with other people. I look around the immediate area surrounding my school. I see a safe city park but beyond that park is woods.  These woods are known to be filled with hideouts where heroin is the drug of choice. My subdivision is surrounded by woods on three sides. My children have grown up much the same way as I did, but I waited unit the were older to allow them to explore. On two occasions now, they have encountered an adult in the woods that followed them home. The ridiculous behavior of adults has had a direct effect on children's ability to explore and play. No wonder children have increasing rates of anxiety and mental illness. I have seen a huge decrease in persistence and problem solving skills as children have become more dependent on adults to do even the simplest of tasks.
My staff and I noticed this trend a few years ago and began to enhance our playground with sticks (yes, sticks), boxes, logs, large blocks, buckets, shovels, and tubes of all sizes.  Children have become so conditioned to playing indoors in small spaces that it took some time to convince them to bring the items out of the storage area and create large structures.  Our playground is messy, but it's fun! We still have a fence and exploration is monitored, but we really try to make our outdoor play as free and open as possible. Although free exploration may never be able to return to the good ole days, we can strive to create protected environments where children can freely explore.  The adults are on the playground in the following pictures but they are not at the fore front of the play.  Children learn from experimentation and each other.
Outdoor chalkboards 
Cut up and buried telephone poles for balancing. 
                                                     

Sand, Sand and more SAND
 s                                                                        



More sand
Our door music area for our future drummers
                                                                                        
Outdoor gardening









4 comments:

  1. I love your 2nd quote! To sum it up, it sounds like something my dad will say...go run and play, if you break it and see if you can put it back together again!! I love that your playground is "messy" but it still gives the children a chance to explore and experiment with the boxes, tubes and sand. There's nothing like pouring sand through a tube and watching it plop out the other end.

    K.Hewitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    The quotes you selected regarding play and the beautiful pictures of the students enjoying the environment is so refreshing. Your pictures reminds me of when I worked at a center based Head Start Program, as a teacher, I would always find time to take the indoors outside. The children loved painting, writing on the chalkboards, and just enjoyed being outside. Our classroom had doors that lead to the outside so it was easy to transfer items in/out doors. Now that I we are within the schools, or outdoor time is limited to 30-minutes, and we rotate playgrounds with 20 other classes. As a director, I always encourage the teachers to do the same, and made sure that our facilities had the needed equipment for the students to enjoy being outdoors. Our classroom is at the front of the building and the playground is located at the back of the school, so it takes at least 5 minutes to get 20 3-5 year olds from classroom to playground on a good day. If lunch is late, our outdoor time is cut even shorter and we are not allowed to make up the difference because the k-2 graders also share the playground and preschoolers are not allowed to be on the playground with the older kids. Our school has recently eliminated the sandboxes. To help the kiddo's to get their wiggles out, We do a lot of music and movement, and often push tables, and chairs back to allow for more movement space. The kids enjoy when we do this, but even this is limited as we have to set the classroom back up for the following day. Our school has a nature trail, however, preschoolers are not allowed because we do not have the additional staff to help with ratio in case of emergencies. Keep up the great work allowing children to enjoy the outdoors and discover nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,
    I like your post! I enjoyed reading your two quotes about play. I like the picture's with the bed sheets because when I was younger and my niece love during that now with the boxes putting her covers over the boxes and act like it is a tent. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,

    It interesting that you said that you're the only child, however I was the only male in the house with 3 other women. My experience of outdoor play was playing house, dress up and shopping. Whenever my family went shopping it took me normally about 5 minutes to pick out items,for them 3 to 4 hours. I had to entertain myself by playing outdoor sports,football or basketball. When I reflect back to my childhood years, I was surrounded by adult influence. I understand when your grandparents told you to be creative, unfortunately I was the only one around to be creative.

    ReplyDelete