Friday, July 7, 2017

Establishing Connections:

Given the upcoming topics in this course, I have chosen to reach out to someone I already consider a mentor within the Head Start community.  She is the Family and Community Partnership Coordinator for Northern Kentucky Community Action Commission Head Start. Her job responsibilities range from supporting the family worker in the department she runs with emergency needs for families, coordinating collaborations with school systems and community resources, and assisting the program with comprehensive education opportunities for high risk children in poverty.  I was easily able to establish a connection with her and she has agreed to participate in conversations regarding issues and trends in our field.
Establishing a connection with another person is proving more challenging as I am looking outside my immediate circle for perspectives from other areas of the country.  I have reached out to several people via email ranging from teachers to administrators in several states. I am still awaiting communication from them.  My main target connection is a former Head Start area director in Georgia from a large north Georgia program with several hundred students.  The program is structured very differently from what I am familiar with and has had much success as a program of excellence with the Head Start program.
Both of the people I have chosen are from within the Head Start community but the Head Start mission and philosophy are thoroughly intertwined with my own. There is always room for improvement at the program level, and we can not improve without the advice and perspective of other program leaders or the perspective of those directly involved.

                                                     Image result for head start logo

As a result of my involvement with Head Start, I chose to research the National Head Start Association website.  I use this website frequently, but this time I chose to follow the links for advocacy. I discovered that Head Start has provided links for communication the importance of early childhood education with federal, state, and local officials. They also have links to professional development in CLASS and links to the Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center (ECLKC) which I use quite frequently.  My program is, of course, a member of the NHSA but I will now join as an individual.  This will allow me to receive newsletters, professional development opportunities, and advocacy opportunities.

                                      Image result for NHSA logo

Reference:

Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center. (2017). Retrieved from   https://eclkc. ohs.acf                 .hhs.gov/

National Head Start Association. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.nhsa.org/


6 comments:

  1. Great connection, I am familiar with the Head Start Program at my agency. We have collaborated with them for many years and I still have questions about their program. I know I was in the Head Start Program as a child (over 40 years ago. I am looking forward in reading about the information you gather for you upcoming blog assignment. Good Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca
    I enjoyed reading your post. I also chose Head Start, I have worked with this program for the past 9 years,and truly believe in the Head Start approach of encompassing the whole child/family. Several of my family members and friends have children that was part of the Head Start program, and these children have soared in their educational goals of not only earning Ph.D's in education, but also earning MD in pediatrics and general practice. Great Choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca
    After reading your post, I have realize that you are totally driven by the Head Start program. Your enthusiasm towards your work is amazing. Personally i think we need more professionals like you in the field of education. Many times we see them in in for the money. i wish you all the best in your advocacy and continue building strong connections. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rebecca,
    What an excellent course of connections you have given. I am also employed by Head Start and I love the focus it has on families and children. I look forward to reading your blog this semester. Have a delightful week!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rebecca,

    Thank you for sharing your connections, I can't wait to learn more from you. Good luck

    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebecca,
    Thanks for sharing. You, smartly, aligned your interest with NHSA with your connection choices. Prayerfully, you will obtain the necessary information to assist you within the Headstart community!

    ReplyDelete