Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A few words of wisdom:

From Marcy Whitebook's speech on Workforce and Professional Development given April 26th, 2010:

"The method of delivery of higher education has to change to accommodate more so-called “non-traditional” students---those like many Head Start teachers now seeking degrees. Many are low income, working full time while attending school, parents and/or caregivers of other family members, and among the first generation in their families to attend college. More often than not they are women of color, in their thirties, forties or fifties, and often English language learners. Community colleges have been at this for quite some time, but we need more upper division and graduate programs geared to the working early learning workforce."

This was me. I went back to finish my undergrad at 32 years of age.  Northern Kentucky University is a great school but my advisor truly did not understand why I could not come to class during the day. At the time, I was a single mom with two children, rent and bills to pay, and working full time for Head Start. The only reason I was completing my undergrad was because of the Head Start mandate. In truth, he simply did not understand the degree I was seeking, and I was given a different advisor. However, I've always believed that should not have been a necessary argument between the two of us.  At one point during the conversation, he told me to quit work. Obviously, my new advisor and I found ways to work around my schedule, but his attitude was simply a small representation of the issues we face when seeking a degree.

From Lyndon Johnson's speech in the Rose Garden on May 18th, 1965:

"Five and six year old children are inheritors of poverty's curse and not its creators. Unless we act these children will pass it on to the next generation, like a family birthmark."

Head Start is a family. I have seen multiple children and grandchildren from the same family come through my school over the past seven years.  Many of the families have become self-reliant enough to no longer qualify for our program.  I love the relationships that I have developed with the community that I serve.  However, there is always a tiny, painful twinge when a mother walks through the door with her 3, 4, or 5 year old to register them for Head Start and says "Oh! I went here as a child!" Part of me feels failure.  The cycle of poverty was not broken for this family, but at least we have been given another chance.

From Sandy Escobido in The passion for Early Childhood:

"We as professionals in the early childhood field have an opportunity to shape a child's life for the better."

There is nothing sweeping or grand about this statement. It is simple and meaningful, truthful and pure.  Just as in any education field, early childhood professionals can truly make a difference in a child's life.  We set the foundation for the attitude about school, and school is a precursor to college and employment.  If any one doubts the importance of your work in this field, remember the following: You will forever be a child's very first teacher.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca. We have some very powerful footsteps to follow to continue the work started by the great contributors to the early education field that you have listed and so many others. We all have vital roles as educators, parents and positive influences in the lives of children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about breaking the cycle of generational poverty resonated with me. The American dream is for our future generations to be better off than our own, yet for many low-income families, without outside influence children remain unequipped with the tools to escape the grip of poverty.

    ReplyDelete