Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Code of Ethics Statements:
The following statements stood out form both NAEYC and DEC given many of the situations I have encountered these past few weeks in my professional life.

NAEYC
P-3A.1 When we have concerns about the professional behavior of a co-worker, we shall first let the person know our concern in a way that shows respect for personal dignity and for diversity to be found among staff members, and then attempts to resolve the matter collegiality and in a confidential manner.

I have had some serious concerns with the behavior of someone above me in my current position, which makes the situation awkward. However, I will soon be forced to address it because her behavior is having a significant effect on staff. This is an extremely difficult person to approach as there is little to no desire to self-reflect. However, this statement makes it clear that this has to be handled despite the difficulty.

I-3C.2 To create and maintain a climate of trust and candor that will enable staff to speak and act in the best interest of children, families, and the field of early education.
 
The staff within my facility feel free to speak candidly about concerns as long as they remain  professional. the same can not be said for large group, all staff meetings.  Staff are "shot-down" for expressing concerns and often labeled as trouble makers. I am determined to change this attitude while still teaching staff to express concerns in a constructive manner.

I-3C.4  To encourage and support continual development of employees in becoming more skilled and knowledgeable practitioners.

I encourage employees training and attend seminars and conferences all the time. I want them to learn. I have often received feedback from upper management that a topic, seminar, or conference is above that employees understanding. I just don't believe this is true.  Even if the employee doesn't have the background to understand the entire subject matter, they should decide that for themselves. Employers that deny others learning are simply employers that do not want their employees to know more than them. Maybe they haven't kept up or perhaps they are insecure. Either way, the employee pays the price.


DEC
We shall support professionals new to the filed by mentoring them in practice of evidence and ethically based services.

I have recently observed professional behaviors that are in need of some fine tuning particularly regarding the support of new staff.  Mentoring is so important and it is often difficult for non education personnel to grasp the idea that on-the-spot teachable moments with education staff are not forms of correction but forms of coaching.  I have come to realize that coaching can be an odd concept to someone outside this field.

Division of Early Childhood. (2009). Code of ethics. Retrieved February 22, from http://www.dec-            sped.org/

National Association for the Education of Young Children. (2005). Code of ethical conduct and
       statement of commitment. Retrieved February 20, from http://www.naeyc.org/ files/ naeyc/                  file/positions/PSETH05.pdf

8 comments:

  1. I-3C.2 is such an important ideal. I just recently had a child confide in me and although it was devastating to do I had no choice but to report it to my director because his well being was more important than anything else. Sometimes we take things like this for granted and do not realize how important and how much these children trust us to keep them safe that it breaks my heart when I feel like I cannot do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca. You brought up a good point regarding mentoring. It is so important for us to lead by example and take those coming up after us under our wings to inspire and motivate. Coaching is also a great way to keep one another accountable to ensure our needs and those of the children and families we serve are met.

    ReplyDelete
  3. understanding and respecting co-workers is crucial in developing good work relations. This assists in dealing with situations that may arise among colleagues. I believe in resolving issues behind closed doors, never allowing students to realize the disagreements. They tend to feed of these energies and act accordingly. Janelle Lallan-Edwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct about that. I often find myself trying to articulate the 'energy' in a classroom to two teachers that aren't getting along. It's just so poisonous to the classroom and the children.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rebecca
    Your passion for the field of education has inspired me. I wish you all your best throughout the rest of the program. Thanks for all you contributions and insights. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experiences in the field since I am very new to this field. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was such a pleasure to have had the opportunity to get to know you. Sharing your ideas, insights and personal experiences is much appreciated. I have learned much that I can implement into my professional life as well as in my classroom. I hope our paths will cross again on our journey. May success follow you each and every place you go. Thanks for sharing Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca, it was pleasure working with you throughout this course. Thank you for supporting and listening to my experiences as well as sharing your own. I see great things in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, thank you for all all that you've shared throughout this course. It has been such a pleasure getting to know you through your posts and comments in these blogs and discussion. I have enjoyed sharing with you and look forward to incorporating some of the things you have shared in my own center.

    ReplyDelete