Saturday, November 11, 2017

Family Culture Items 

If my current country were devastated and I had to choose three items to take with me to represent my family culture, I would choose a guitar, a copy of GoldenEye (James Bond movie), and a dog collar.
I would take the guitar because I have grown up with music. My father plays the guitar, and I grew up singing with him in church. We still play occasionally and my husband joins in playing bass guitar.  Growing up, large family gatherings included guitar and piano playing with my aunts and cousins. We played and sang hymns and Christmas carols  We still love to play together but unfortunately, we are spread many miles apart in different states.

Image result for 1976 alvarez guitars
A representation of my father's guitar
I would take a copy of GoldenEye because it is the first James Bond film I saw, and I have been in love with Bond ever since. My children and I watch Bond movies together; my oldest and I have had Bond marathons on rainy Saturday. My oldest son, my husband, and I have seen all of the Bond films. I have seen all of them for the past twenty years on opening night in the theater. My boys will be old enough to accompany me to the next one in 2019.

                                                         Image result for Goldeneye

I would take a dog collar with all of my dog's tags on on it. I still have the tags from every dog I have ever had for the past 35 years. I have raised my children to love, respect, and appreciate dogs. Our dogs are a very important part of our lives. I would love to be able to take the dog, but given the catastrophic nature of this scenario that might not be a possibility.
My dog! He's much older now.


If I could only choose one of these items, It would be the dog collar. I have never been without a dog and neither have my children. My husband also spent a significant amount of his life with a dog in his home. I truly love animals and especially dogs.  We can not imagine our lives without a dog. The dog collar would serve as a reminder of our love and appreciation of dogs and all of the fun we have had with them, their loyalty, and unconditional love for their people. 

I found it very difficult to choose items to represent my whole family. There were plenty of items that represent each of us individually but not that many the represent us as a whole. We are relatively new as a family as my husband and I have only been married for 4 years. There are many items that he and I discussed that represent us as a couple. There are also many that represent my children and me as a single-parent family. I have older children who are establishing their own lives and independence. Our family culture is rapidly changing with jobs, school, children approaching college, driving, and high school coming to an end. 



!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca. This is a very thoughtful post. We have a lot in common. I too played music with my grandpa for family during the holidays, special family events and just to spend time with him. My instrument was the bongos which is very cultural for my family and my grandpa taught me how to play. Our times together were very special and I keep them close to my heart always. As for dogs, I love them. I grew up in a big house with 14 family members and we had 7 dogs we loved dearly. A big part of our family culture that makes us who we are is our family as well as the things that bind us together such as quality time with one another, love of family pets, favorite movies and happy memories.

    As you continue to build your family legacy with your husband and children, you continue to honor those family members who came before you and made you the awesome person you are today. I think that's a beautiful thing.

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rebecca
    As an avid animal lover I ca understand your passion and love for your pet after all he is part of the family. I enjoy a good James Bond also. I loved Roger Moore agent 007, I believe I seen every one of his movies.Every item you mentioned means a whole lot to you and I can see why you would want to cherish each one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing: I haven't been feeling well all weekend so I have been sitting here working on homework and having my own Bond movie watching marathon on Hulu!

    ReplyDelete