Friday, January 19, 2018

Verbal and Nonverbal Communication 

I chose to watch the new show "Black-ish." Not because it is not something I would not normally watch but because it is something that I have never watched before. After watching the first episode, I will most likely continue to watch the show. Even without the sound on, it was really funny and contains pertinent views of culture in the United States.

Image result for blackish

Without the sound, it is still evident that this family of six practices a great deal of sarcasm in their communication with one another. There is also an air of confidence from the character of the father. The grandfather, played by Laurence Fishburne, displays a really laid back style of communication often seen sitting in a chair drinking a beer. The mother/wife displays facial expressions and body language that convey irritation and disapproval of the father's actions. In one scene in the laundry room, her eyes are bulging out, she leans forwards, waves her arms, contorts her face into an expression of anger and seems to be yelling at the dad as he stands with a confused expression on his own face.

With the sound on, the father's communication is much more clear. He displays confidence at his job but clearly has many conflicts with his role in an all-white upper class neighborhood and job setting. His verbal communication conveys amazement and dismay at the odd dynamics between him and his co-workers, his son's choice of sports and friends, and his family's willingness to let go of their culture.

When I watched the show with the sound off, his sarcasm was abundantly clear and that was proven once the sound was on. My assumptions about the grandfather were wrong. His non-verbal communication was casual, but his verbal communication was really aggressive and grumpy. My assumptions about the wife, were spot-on. However, some of this is rooted in my knowledge of the actress. I have listened to her as a public speaker on a few occasions and am familiar with her verbal communication style. Her character has many of the same mannerisms, speech patterns, and phrasing as the actress. 

Obviously, if I had been watching a show I know well such as Law and Order SVU, I would have had a much more accurate read on the regular character's nonverbal communications. I am quite familiar with their facial expressions, movements, and gestures. A show such as the one I chose to watch was completely unfamiliar to me. The "aha" moment came from wrapping my previous knowledge of the actors into their characters which mislead me on the nature of the grandfather. Professionally, we can often make assumptions about people's character based on their nonverbal communication. For example, I have a reputation as being very aggressive because I walk very quickly and move with purpose and intensity. The truth is, I am not aggressive. I'm actually fairly calm most of the time.  The same can be said for working with children and families. We can not make assumptions about the intentions and character of a parent or a child based solely on nonverbal communication. Parents may appear angry when they are simply tired from a long day of work. We must always look beyond the obvious and ask questions for clarification.


6 comments:

  1. Rebecca,
    I have not seen this show before either but from your analogy of the show I believe I would like to watch it. I agree with you it is often that people are guilty (myself included) of judging people by non-verbal communicational skills. However, most of the time our assumption is wrong. I try to take my cues from my parents when it comes to communication. If they come in talk and laughing and do not look like they are in a hurry we may chit chat for a moment. If they look flustered then I try to help get them get the child moving a little faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent point involving drop off each day. I have seen parents come in so frantic, and many times I may have context for this, that I just reach out and say "It's ok. I've got it" to enable them to get out the door quickly. Now, if this were an everyday occurrence and was upsetting the child, we might set up a meeting time to discuss some time saving strategies to decrease this frantic behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca
    Your post now have me so curious about this show, that I now feel like watching it myself. Amazing work!
    I do agree however that we can make judgement about people when we look at their posture and body language that could be totally opposite to how that person really is. I have been judged on many occasions as 'unapproachable', and mean. When in truth and in fact I am very easy to talk to but I my mind is always going at 1000 miles per minute so I seem so far from where I actually am. This is a great lesson for us as educators though, because nonverbal communications can sometimes cause us to make assumptions about our students and their families even before getting to know them. This can in return affect our work with them. I did not think of it in this way before. Thanks for shedding some new light on this. Keep up the great work Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same reputation and for a long time I wasn't sure why. I lost my car keys in my building once and after several minutes of looking for them, I decided to watch my self on camera to see where I had put them down as I made my evening lock-up rounds. I watched about an hour of footage of myself just walking around in my building and discovered that I look extremely aggressive. I walk fast, take long strides, turn quickly, and move with intensity. No wonder people back away when I come down the school hallway! I have since tried to modify my movement throughout the building and only use that form of aggressive movement when necessary to stop a fight or inappropriate behavior from adults.

      Delete
  4. Hello Rebecca,
    Viewing a new television show can be a changing outcome on how a person perceives of what is the statement. A show with no sound may not be view as a comedy or a love story. I have never viewed Blackish but I do know it is a comedy. If a person watched it with no sound would they understand the punt of the joke? Would it be a comedy or take on a new theme. A silent movie is a statement and the author may have a hidden agenda for the meaning of the movie.
    Melodi Cashio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca,
    This is one of my favorite shows. The communication that this family has with one another is amazing. While their are conflicts and yelling that can happen. At the end, they still have respect for each other and the lesson being taught is learned.

    ReplyDelete