Saturday, January 27, 2018

Cultural Communication

Cultural Communication

     On a daily basis, I interact with hundreds of people including parents, children, co-workers, family members, and community members. As a result, I also interact with a variety of race, religions, nationalities, sexual orientation, and abilities. Within the sub-culture of my workplace, I interact with persons of varying levels of employment and management. 

     In these broader areas, I suppose I interact with people differently but not necessarily based on their category. I base my communication and interaction with people on what works best for them, how long we have known each other, their personality, and their communication needs. I try to communicate with people in as friendly and open a manner as possible. 
     My interactions within my organization are something of which I am very aware. I remain professional whether they are the director, a teacher, an assistant teacher, or the janitor. I do my best to communicate to everyone that their ideas matter regardless of their position. However, I am well aware that I am more casual with my own staff than I am with someone else's staff. I am much more formal with my supervisors, board members, and managers than I am with people on the same level as myself. 
     Image result for communication
     When communicating with anyone whether work related or personal, I communicate with respect, an assumption of knowledge, and a tone that conveys concern even if I do not agree with that person. 
First, I do my best to communicate with respect. I avoid name-calling, labels, and accusations. Second, I assume that the person to whom I am speaking is intelligent and has some level of knowledge. There is nothing worse to me than being spoken to a if I am not intelligent, and I would never want to do this to someone else. Third, I try to convey concern even if I do not find the person's view to be valid and founded. Clearly, if they are sharing something with me they have a concern.

Image result for respect

    I am well-aware of how negative communication feels especially right now as there is a negative communicator in my life. As I progress through this week, I will actually be tackling this issue head on. There is a very real possibility that this choice could cost me my job, but I can not longer allow someone to use hostile communication towards me, my staff, or my colleagues simply because they are in a position of power. I ask for your support, thoughts, and prayers this week. 
     

6 comments:

  1. Hello Rebecca,

    We cannot avoid communicating with people every day at work, school or in the society. In the school, we communicate more with our colleagues, student and their families. It is a fact that we deal with people of different culture; there is a need for us to be careful and treat them right. Most times, it is necessary that we know people we are communicating with or just be cordial if we do not know much about them. You stated that, “I base my communication and interaction with people on what works best for them, how long we have known each other, their personality” What about those you do not know at all? How do you communicate with them?

    It is good to be professional no matter who we are communicating with especially at work. I agree with you that we need to communicate with respect but we have to consider their culture and background to avoid misunderstanding and misinterpretation. Negative comments hurt a lot that is why we need to use the Platinum Rule and think less of our selves. We need to think of others first and treat them the way they want to be treated. Wherever we find ourselves, we need to look at people through their eyes instead of building it on our opinions or what we think we know about them. Learning about nonverbal cues is very important. We should recognize the unwritten cultural rules of nonverbal communication of others because it takes time and patience to learn about other people. (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010)

    What could make people speak as if you are not intelligent? That’s very wrong in the first place. The Platinum Rule should be applied in this situation. The platinum rule could help to build strong relationships since it customizes the way we treat others to their preferences and no ours (Linaman, 2016). You don’t have to talk or act like them but aspire to interact with them in ways that you are comfortable with. An effective communicator finds it easy to develop empathy and trust with others; therefore, your style of communication should suit the audience and situations they are presented with.

    References:

    Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010). 50 strategies for communicating and

    working with diverse families. Upper Saddle River, NJ:

    Pearson Education, Inc.

    Linaman, T., E., (2016) The Platinum Rule. Relational

    Advantage,Inc. Retreived from:

    https://www.drlinaman.com/the-platinum-rule/


    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    I can say that communicating with so many different people in a short time does say a lot about your communication skills and ability to get your point across. I too find that my communication skills vary depending on what group of people I am talking to rather it is my co-workers or supervisors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rebecca
    I agree with your idea of cultural communication. The fact that you communicate with respect to others shows your professionalism at what you do. Ase educators we should all take this approach and use it for the good of everyone we come into contact with. Respect is most definitely the key to positive communication and the skills that we use to communicate effectively will only strengthen our ability to verbally and non-verbally communicate appropriately with others. Enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca
    I must say, you seem to be a much better communicator than I am. it is amazing though how many different roads of life we walk on a daily basis and how we must adapt to each of them. I was very impressed with they way in which you can maintain such composure when communicating with others. I do agree that RESPECT is the key to effective communication. Thank for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca,
    You are a very busy person. I love the way you communicate. I can get busy with things and want to rush, but have to stop and collect my thoughts. What has helped you become such a great communicator?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Rebecca,
    great post! RESPECT is a key component in communication. With respect levels of communication and obstacles can be over come for a positive situation. Respecting families and children in a multi cultural venue will offer positive climate and positive dispositions.
    Melodi Cashio

    ReplyDelete