Friday, January 12, 2018

Communication 

     The question for this week's blog asks us to think about someone after which we would want to model our own communication style. I really did not have to think on this one for very long. The Executive Director of my agency  has a communication style that I really admire. She has a strong and commanding personality and presence. I would like to think that I do as well. However, she is far more diplomatic, and therefore more effective, than I am.
     I am not a great nor diplomatic communicator when placed in an unscripted situation. I have no problem with pre-planned or scripted public speaking or even unscripted question and answer situations within my area of expertise. I do not do well in awkward disciplinary situations with staff planned or unplanned. Most of the time, I feel like Bart Simpson in the image below.
 
 

     She, however, is impressive in her command of these situations. Last school year, I had the privilege of participating in a meeting with her and a staff member over a very delicate situation. She made the staff member feel comfortable,valued, and heard while still remaining firm on the company policy. The staff member plead her case and although she did not get what she wanted, she felt as though she had been heard and appreciated. Some of the effective communication styles I noticed from my Executive Director were that she maintained an open posture, kept consistent eye contact, and leaned forward when the staff member was speaking. At no point, did she become defensive about the staff member's questioning of the policy or predicament.
Image result for communication
     Recently, she lead an improvement meeting of managers and coordinators. She asked about or challenges, our concerns, and our ideas. She listened and spoke very little except to ask prompting questions. What began as a 30 minute session lasted for an hour. With very little speaking, she drew an incredible amount of honest information out of the administrative team. When I left that meeting, I said to my coworkers "That was by far the most productive and fulfilling meeting I have ever been in." Here, her communication style followed the "less is more" philosophy. She appeared comfortable with our silence while we were thinking. She was also accepting of our ideas and concerns even if she may not have agreed with all of them.
     I have been with our agency for almost 8 years and I have seen tremendous improvement with her at the helm. No doubt, her style of communication has a great deal to do with this progress!


5 comments:

  1. Hello Rebecca
    Enjoyed your blog and your honesty in communication. I believe we all feel that way at one time or another, I know i have. I also believe that when we observe others and their skills of communication, it helps us become better effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca
    What great footsteps to follow. She sounds so familiar to my husband. It is amazing how they both use the same tactics during meetings, posture, eye contact, lengthy listening. MY husband does the same, he always has the last say, and trust me, whatever he say at the end is totally fair to all. As the old people say "it's gospel". It is great that you have such a mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,
    It is great to have someone above you that has great communication skills. I have found that when having a superior that communicates with their staff and is always open to ideas and thoughts, it makes the job so much easier. -Samantha D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,
    It is a good place to work wen your supervisor actual listen what her coworkers have to say. It seems she takes every chance she gets to encourage and train her co workers. It seems as if she has made an impression on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca,
    this is wonderful to have administration that is a professional. Communication is an important element in the workforce. As our job is not the easiest it can be rewarding.
    Melodi Cashio

    ReplyDelete